Did you know your teeth need to stay healthy to last your lifetime? Yes, it’s true! Part of keeping your teeth healthy includes flossing regularly. Dental floss works to keep your teeth clean in areas your toothbrush can’t reach. That is why flossing is essential to positive oral health care. Our dentist, Dr. Christopher Lillo with Oak Ridge Dental Group in Toms River, New Jersey, understand the importance of keeping your teeth healthy, which includes the importance of dental floss. To help you learn more about flossing, our office has provided you with some information on the subject.
Here are some reasons why flossing can help keep your teeth healthy:
– Dental floss is highly effective if it is durable enough to accomplish the task that it needs to. Use thread that is shred-resistant.
– Speak with your dentist about product recommendations to confirm that the dental floss products you are using are safe for use.
– Depending on your oral health care needs, it may be more beneficial to use a different type of interdental cleaner to clean between your teeth. Because flossing alone cannot always reach all areas between your teeth if restorations are already in place, try using a water flosser instead. Water flosser use beams of water sprayed directly onto your teeth.
– If you have any questions about how long you should be flossing between your teeth, generally you should just be going slow enough that you can actually clean all sides of a tooth and between each one. This process should typically take 2 to 3 minutes per day and should be done every day.
– If you are using traditional thread, make sure you avoid contamination by throwing out used dental floss strands of thread.
If you are willing to floss each day, then you are helping keep your smile in excellent health. If you need further help with your oral health, please call us today at 732-341-1120 to book an appointment. Our dental team is happy to give you a checkup and let you know what you need to have a healthy smile.