Did you know that smiles can be enhanced with health foods? Starting a healthy diet will not only affect your waistline but can also play a big role on the health of your gum line as well. Due to the fact that tooth decay and gum disease could be the result of what you eat, take the time to look at your own diet and make the changes to save your smile and customize it into one that is healthy and happy. Listed below are a few amazing dietary options to improve your nutrition and your oral health:
– Avoid simple sugars and carbohydrates, as plaque buildup and bacteria in our mouths can convert these materials into harmful acids that can eat through tooth enamel.
– Avoid snacking on foods in between meals, including during times of snacking or as standalone treats.
– Various ingredients in foods can remineralize our teeth for healthier and stronger tooth enamel, including minerals such as calcium and phosphorous which are often found in foods such as chicken, cheese, nuts, and milk.
– Look for foods with high water content that are crunchy, such as pears and apples, as they are astounding selections for washing away food residue and harmful acids and increasing saliva production.
– Saliva can neutralize acids in your mouth, so try exposing saliva-producing foods to your diet, including chewing sugarless gum, which has been proven to stimulate saliva production and aid in the prevention of cavities after meals.
Depending on your age, oral health, and jawbone strength, our dentist at Oak Ridge Dental Group can help you find which oral health care treatment will work best for you. Dr. Christopher Lillo and our team would love to see you at our dentist office in Toms River, New Jersey. To schedule an appointment, please call us at 732-341-1120. We will be glad to help you achieve the results you are looking for.